Looking back, it is almost everything happened in a blur. I remember how bad I wanted to grow up. I remember thinking of the endless possibilities of living in this world as an adult and how easier it would be for me to decide on my own and do the things that I want. I guess it was every child's dream to grow up and to be free and to try everything without anybody telling them that they are not allowed to.
Growing up, I always wanted to do things on my own. I get irritated if someone like my mother would do the job done for me. I get frustrated when after multiple trials, I still couldn't do something like how to cook a perfect sunny side-up. I guess this behavior is instinctive to all growing young individuals. We find it exciting to try new things and feel satisfied when our work is finished. We also get easily frustrated when we fail and sometimes, we throw the blame to the people around us. We do not want older people getting in our way.
We are often misunderstood by our parents, teachers, etc. They think of us as rebels and troublemakers. I ask myself all the time: "why is it so easy for them to judge us as if they did not go through the same phase?" and they always have an answer that suggests that we are worse than their generation. I always snap every time my mother will tell me this. I will elaborately explain to her that their time back then was to be compared to stone age while ours is the age of exploration. Before they make hasty comparisons, they should consider the gap in our ages.
My only request to my parents is that they need to be more open-minded. It is so unfair because their judgement is blocked by the illusion that they are the perfect generation and that how they behaved was supposed to be the same manner we should be behaving now. Grown-ups should keep pace with the changes in time. They must understand that as time progresses, social norms are continually renewed. The world has become a million times better since time immemorial but I believe that the world we are in right now would have been not what it is if not for the ability of humans to adapt to change. I believe that grown-ups had lost their ability to be receptive to new knowledge disabling them to conform to the developments that they see and experience.
To all grown-ups, remember that to understand the children of the 21st century, one must be "young" again that is, to regain the state of mind like that of a sponge, which absorbs new knowledge and accepts change.
To all the children who dream nothing but to be a grown-up, never forget that to be child-like is different from being childish. Do not be afraid to make mistakes and above all, retain your ability to adapt to change.
- Maru

No comments:
Post a Comment